EVENTS - National Maritime Festival, Newcastle
Novacastrians celebrate on water their city’s biggest one-day event
The National Maritime Festival, described by organiser as the largest annual one-day event in Newcastle, NSW, will be held on Newcastle harbour and foreshore this Sunday from 9am to 5pm.
Organisers said people can expect an event of international standard celebrating 210 years as Australia’s first commercial port.
Major highlights include:
* Pete and Andy Goss, and Spirit of Mystery.
Pete Goss built a wooden lugger and followed in the wake of seven Cornishmen who made an heroic journey to Australia 154 years ago.
* National Ski Racing — see World Champion Jack Houston on the harbour.
* Welcome Home the 200 Air Force personnel — 41 Wing’s outstanding achievements in Afghanistan. See them when they parade up the foreshore to Customs House.
* HMAS Parramatta open for public inspection.
* Tall ship, James Craig.
* The Roulettes — RAAF's elite formation aerobatic display team.
* Maritime Masterpieces art exhibition by the Australian Society of Marine Artists at the Maritime Centre Newcastle.
Event organisers promise thrills and spills on the harbour with the National Ski Racing and the Jet-Ski Enduro races, plus world champion wakeboarding demonstrations and Tug Ballet, as well as port tours, entertainment and exhibits.
Back on land, check out the awesome Defence display in the foreshore park carpark, and the Customs and Border Protection Dog Unit at the Maritime Centre.
And in the skies: RAAF Roulettes, RAAF Hornets, Air Action Pitt Special aerobatics and watch for the Maitland Tandem Skydivers descend to the earth with colourful flares.
All things maritime will be celebrated this Sunday, with a Grand Parade, SWIG Hunter Winemakers Expo, market stalls, street theatre, NSW Corps of Marines with cannons and muskets blazing, and so much more.
Want the latest stories delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up for the free TradeBoats e-newsletter.